Thursday, May 24, 2007

May 24th- What a week!

Hey everyone! After the first week of doing classwork, I realized that it really won't be too bad. I have enjoyed doing it. I love doing collaborative work and really learn a lot from others. Now, I am very glad that I chose to do my online work in Blackboard. Doing a happy hour summary is a little more interesting in a group. When doing collaborative work, I also love how you can start with what you think is a great idea, and with input of others a great idea becomes an incredible idea!!

In class last night, we talked a lot about blogs and ways that we could possibly use them in the classroom. Many of the things that came to my mind involved collaboration on a finished product, which lends itself more to a wiki format. I think that I will really enjoy talking about wikis. I have never really thought that blogging is something that I would enjoy or embrace. I always loved to write my thoughts down when I was younger in a journal or diary, but I would never want to share them with EVERYONE! It is amazing to me how people are so out there. I also thought about what Bill said in class about how everything can be found once it is online, and I thought about how teenagers and young adults put everything out there these days. More and more jobs these days are looking at things like my space, and to be honest with you, I am not sure that I would be viewed the same today in my profession if some of my mistakes as a "child" were posted and available to read. I really think there is a need to educate our kids and students on this....

4 comments:

Amy said...

The idea of collaboration is a strong theme in this session. The use of all of these tools in the classroom requires collaboration to make the project successful.

Josh said...

I think you just hit on it...education. It was funny not to long ago I was watching a Judge Judy episode on TV and the girl was found guilty because of what she wrote on her myspace account. She tried to delete it, but the plantiff found archived stuff and brought it to court. Amazing stuff, I know there are a lot of people that are placing so much stuff on youtube and sites like it, that I fear will harm them in the future.

Wen~ said...

I think that's the aspect of blogging/social networking that makes me the most nervous. I think as teachers and parents it's so important for us to educate our kids. It's kind of like when a new drug comes out and then years later that find out side effects that they didn't or couldn't know about. When myspace came out people did not recognize all of the ramifications.

Pete said...

Even with all the education in the world many students will continue to put inappropriate material out there. Just like when I was a kid, we always did stuff we knew we shouldn't. The only difference now is it is hre in writing and pictures instead of just stories "of the good ' ol days."